Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Chester update

Dr. Shippman, the vet who removed Chester's tumor while we were in Oklahoma, called yesterday with the histopathology results.

It turns out, Buddy has a grade 3 mast cell tumor--the worst kind for him to have (grade 1 to grade 3). That is what we were all afraid of. She explained some of our options, but none of them sound great. Amputation, radiation, chemotherapy, etc., depending on how much it has already spread throughout his body. I'll be talking to the regular vet on Friday about those options when I take him in to get his staples removed.

Needless to say, I'm taking the news badly. I know he's old (he'll be 10 in March), but I didn't think I'd have to start worrying about things like this just yet. I'm really not ready for it. I know he's just a dog, but he's my dog, and he has been for almost 10 years. I can't imagine not waking up to his cold, wet nose and old man grumblings, along with 800 other things I can't imagine. I know I'll have to imagine these things and get used to them, but it's a really hard thing to do while he's still here, curled up next to me. It's double-hard to sit here crying about it when he's trying to do his "cheering me up" thing he does every time I'm upset or crying about something.

Mom and I were talking yesterday in the car (I was sitting in traffic when I got the news). I told her that I just wanted to make sure he was happy for whatever time he has left, whatever we decide to do treatment-wise. She said, "he's just happy when he's with you." So, I think this weekend, Buddy and I will take some walks, go on some car rides, and cuddle on the couch as much as possible. I just want him to be as comfortable and happy as he can be until it's time.

It goes without saying that I'm almost ready to recant my statement about 2009 being a stellar year.

No comments: